....Oakland, California - Stargazing since 1924








05/28/1923

 

Chabot Space and Science Center and
Eastbay Astronomical Society timeline

Compiled by Carter Roberts and Don Stone

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

28 May 1923
Bd of Ed again refuses Burckhalter's resignation.
20 Sep 1923
Charles Burckhalter dies from either a stroke or a heart attack which may have been due to his agitation over araging fire that was approaching his beloved observatory.
21 Sep 1923
Earle Garfield Lisley (EGL), Burckhalter's assistant is appointed by the Oakland School Board to succeed Burckhalter. (EGL indicated he was associated with the Observatory since 1912).
22 Sep 1923
2 P.M., funeral service for Burckhalter at Truman's Residence Chapel, Telegraph and 30th Streets.
23 Feb 1924
EBAAA established at meeting in what was the Chabot Observatory Library (Mountain Blvd location).
18 Mar 1924
Offical name chosen: East Bay Amateur Astronomical Association.
18 May 1924
20-inch telescope dedicated to Charles Burckhalter.
Mar-May 1925
Bd of Ed appropriates $10,000 to finish Observatory.
01 Nov 1925

Vol I. issue #1 of The Monthly Bulletin; Editor: James T. Skaggs.

07 Nov 1925
Downstainrs lecture room seating 85 finished; at same time upstairs lecture room becomes library/reception room.
03 Dec 1925
Dedication of Charles Burckhalter School.
02 Apr 1927
First Annual EBAAA picnic, 50 in attendance.
Jul 1928
Zeiss Planetarium suggested for Oakland.
Nov 1928
EBAAA becomes EBAA (East Bay Astronomical Association).
Aug-Sep 1929
Old Lafayette Square Observatory building demolished. Cornerstone found in pier of 8-inch telescope. Linsley took contents to Mountain Blvd. Chabot Observatory.
1929
Linsley wants Zeiss Planetarium for Chabot.
Feb 1930
EBAA becomes EAA (Eastbay Astronomical Association).
28 Apr 1930
1-2 sec Total Solar Eclipse visible from Marin, Sonoma and Napa counties.
06 Dec 1930
Franklin B. Wright founds Chabot Telescope Makers Workshop.
1930-1931
15,000 visited Observatory (60,000 including talks at schools, churches, etc.)
Summer 1935
Exhibit cases obtained. Enlargements and transparencies added. Spectroscopic exhibit set up in room off large dome.
Aug 1937
Linsley moves into Directors Cottage.

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

 

Newsletter | Membership | Schedule | Workshop | Astrophotos | Links | Directions | Contacts
What's Up | Astro Advice | Constellation Chronicle | EAS History | Chabot Space & Science Center | Beware! | Home